Re: Hot Tigers

To: JEFF_CARTER@HP-Cupertino-om5.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Hot Tigers
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 12:38:38 +0100
Jeff,

You didn't specify what year Mustang, but the '65-'66 era only had a fan
shroud with the factory air option. I had a '66 GT Convertible, and know
it intimately. I had a terrible cooling problem even after a new
four-row "Desert Cooler" was added. I bought a re-built '66 3 row
radiator from a local Mustang center. Although it was only 3 rows, they
tubes were small, and a high number per inch. The fins were also a high
density (about 16 fins per inch). This did the trick, even at 105F with
the air conditioning on, in traffic.

When I re-built the Tiger I used the new high density tubes and high fin
count 4 row core that is the same thickness as the original 3 row. Added
the 6 blade Ford Canadian Fan, and the overheating problems are gone.

On the "Filter". This is another Mustang accessory called a "Gano
Filter". Bought one at the same Mustang center for about $25. It
installs in the upper radiator hose, and consists of a brass screens,
twin conical, to trap any motor scale from getting into the radiator and
plugging the tubes. Needs service, every so often, to remove any
collected scale. This one has a Lexan outer housing, so you can see the
screen trap scale accumulation if you drain some antifreeze out. You
should be doing this annually anyway. Their is a stainless steel locking
wire included to tie the two worm screw hose clamps together. The only
problem I have heard is that these hose clamp connections are forced
open by internal pressure. Properly attached, the lock-wire should
prevent this. I believe the CAT warehouse has one with a brass housing.
I recommend both a high density tube/fin radiator from a very good
manufacturer, a back-flush, the Ford 6 blade, and the Gano scale filter,
from my experience.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >