Re: Carbon/Metallic Brake Pads

To: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Subject: Re: Carbon/Metallic Brake Pads
From: rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu (Bob Palmer)
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 97 12:20:07 PDT
Phil,

Can't help you much here.  I had Dale do the whole installation.  Getting
lazy in my old age I guess.  I did have one surprise soon after I started
using them which probably no one but me would have to worry about.  The
tophat portion of one of the rotor's separated from the rest of the rotor.
If you think of the rotor as a hat, I guess it would be the crown; in any
case the mounting flange part with the four holes for the wheel studs.  The
problem arose because of uneven stress on the tophat due to the fact that
the Tiger axle hub is squared off and does not support the rotor evenly.
This would probably not be a problem, except for the fact that my Centerline
ConvoPro wheels have an unusualmounting surface, two concentric convolutions
the outer one of which is just outboard of the mounting studs.  I solved the
problem by adding 1/4" plates for extra support on top of the rotor flange.

Bob