Re: Transporting a Tiger

To: James Pickard <geowiz@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Transporting a Tiger
From: "tim vb-o'brien" <vbob@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 05:56:25 -0700
James Pickard wrote:

> I'm buying a Tiger and need to transport it about 800 miles.  Any
> suggestions?  Has anybody done a one-way truck/trailer rental from U-Haul,
> Ryder, or anybody else?  Any pitfalls or problems?  Any success stories?
> How about commercial carriers?  Cost?  I don't want my first experience to
> be a disaster.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Pickard
Well I never told you all the story of losing the brakes on the big
orange and silver (no names please) rental truck coming down the
continental divide into SW Montana. I was towing a CRX on a full trailer
with all my worldly goods inside and the pet rabbits in a cage on the
seat next to me. It happened just as I started down the hill (so brake
fade wasn't the problem) and I was doing an instant 70 mph on gravel
through a construction zone (on a weekend fortunately). Blew by some
lady in a USA mobile who must have thought I was crazy (not to mention
my wife trying to keep up with me in my pickup truck). I tried
everything in my bag of tricks, but with an automatic truck, your
options are limited. Finally pumped enough pressure back into the pedals
to stop it close to the bottom of the pass. Smoked them back brakes!
Pulled into a pull off and shook for about an hour. Anyone ever been
through the US93 pass from Salmon Idaho to Hamilton MT knows what a
thrill I had.

The moral to the story is next time I rented one of those big yellow
trucks and was much happier with the condition of the equipment.

BTW - When I stopped shaking, I looked over, saw the Bitteroot river and
figured if there were no waterfalls ahead, I was at the valley floor.
Drove without brakes for 40 miles into Hamilton.

tim