Re: Canadian Fans

To: johnson@ids.net
Subject: Re: Canadian Fans
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 97 06:58:54 -0600
     While I don't doubt that the stock ceiling fan can move a lot of air,
     how much will it move when you cut it down to fit within your shroud?
     And where will the motor go?

     Seriously, there are many factors other than blade count that control
     the amount of air that can be moved.  Airfoil shape, angle, width,
     etc.  What that guy said may be true for that brand of ceiling fan
     (the 5 blade unit was the most expensive, right?), but it's not a
     universal truth.  If it was, why aren't there more airplanes with five
     bladed props?

     Stu

Author:  Non-HP-owner-tigers (owner-tigers@autox.team.net) at
HP-ColSprings,mimegw3
Date:    10/15/97 6:23 AM

When I was recently shopping for ceiling fans, I was told by my friendly
Home Depot salesman that 5-bladed fans were the most efficient way to
go. They moved more air than any other configuration. I can also recall
a CAT tip of some time ago advising the fitting of a 5-bladed Volvo 240
fan with better results than the 6-bladed fan. Yet all the talk is
directed to the 6-blade type.
        How about it, you engineering types?  Was Herb telling the truth?
What's the best way to go??? Some few Volvo 240s ought to be hitting the
junk yards about now.
Al J. (big radiator AND 6 blades)