Fan assymmetry

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fan assymmetry
From: STUART_BRENNAN@HP-Andover-om3.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 97 10:59:39 -0600
     The way I heard it, the reason for the uneven location of blades on
     auto fans is for noise reduction.  The uneven pattern breaks up, or at
     least minimizes the "siren" effect you would get if the pattern was
     symmetrical.  You just get a "whoosh" rather than any trace of a tone
     that tracks engine speed.  I don't recall any mention any airflow
     advantage.

     Lets Calculate:  The fan turns at about the same speed as the crank,
     so let's pick 3000 RPM, or 50 turns per second.  With 4 blades, that
     would be a 200 Hz tone, easily in the audible range.  In a Tiger, it
     would be quite difficult to hear the fan over the rest of the din, but
     in an LTD or something, it might make a difference.

     Stu