Re: tripleTigerSighting

To: laifman@flash.net (Steve Laifman)
Subject: Re: tripleTigerSighting
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 97 7:46:51 PDT
> Had a wire wheel Jag. '54 XK-120M with chrome 52mm splines (not 42 like
> MG or Sunbeam). As soon as Jag put out the "D" models, with more torque
> and horsepower, they went to pin-drive disk wheels, as did Mercedes.
> Dayton (American) wire wheels were built with larger hubs and coarser
> splines for Detroit Iron. Even then, it was touch and go. If you recall,
> one of the worst nightmares Cadillac ever had was putting bolt-on
> Dunlops on their Eldorado.
>
> I love the looks of wire wheels. Always have. My Tiger American Racing
> wheels have knock-offs that screw on the wheels. But, the wheel is held
> on by bolts.
>
> Some freinds had the V-12's Jags, and there was a sort-of clickety-clack
> sound as they went by. Broke spokes by the handful. Glad you're having
> luck with the early Cobra release, but they didn't change for no reason.
>
>  Even now, Morgan refuses to supply their V-8 with wire wheels, while
> the same car with the 4 banger comes with them.
> --
> Steve Laifman         < One first kiss,       >

I certainly don't claim wire wheels are in any way superior to modern or
even 35 year old alloys wheels, but they did work in many applications.
I'd much prefer pin-drive Halibrands, but I'm not willing to part with
the $10k or so it would cost for the conversion.

Having said that, in 31 years of ownership, I've never had a loose or
broken spoke and the hub splines are still in very good condition.  I
did have the wheels rebuilt a few year back, but only because they
looked like hell, not because of any mechanical problems.  I know
another wire wheel Cobra owner who has been driving his car even longer
and is still on his original un-rebuilt painted wires, no problems, so
far.  A pretty good record, I think.  I can't speak for his his driving,
but I've been known to drive pretty aggressively now and then.  BTW,
original Cobra wire wheels were 70 spoke Dunlops.  If I were to replace
them today, I would go with Daytons because the Dunlops that are being
manufactured currently have major quality control problems, IMO.

One other high torque wire wheel car I forgot to mention is Allard.
And of course lots of Ferraris.

Roland