Classic Cars ?

To: Tiger List <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Classic Cars ?
From: Russell Maddock <rmaddock@petrie.starway.net.au>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 22:47:13 +1000
I just checked that site, but they seem to have changed the picture already.
Now it has an XK Jaguar.

I think I might know what that mystery car is though. The boys in the club here
will love this.

One of our members decided he wanted to go racing on the cheap and picked up an
Alpine that was ripe for the crusher. Most of the trim was missing, so he cut
down a Minx grille and
modified the front of the car to accept it. He didn't have a windscreen so he
fitted one from something else. He had someone bend some drainpipe into the
shape of a rollover bar and
welded it to the body. He even made a toneau cover out of a cheap tarpaulin.

We couldn't believe it when he actually got it through scrutineering. He had a
couple of unsuccessful race meetings before selling it to a dealer who onsold
it to some sucker at an
overblown price. The car was advertised in Australian Classic Car Monthly about
a year ago, so they probably borrowed the photo for their website.

Russell