RE: Mt. Washington Hill Climb

To: "Schonberger, Barry" <bkschonb.ucs@smtp.usi.edu>,
Subject: RE: Mt. Washington Hill Climb
From: "KEMPINSKI, ROBERT M. (JSC-OS)" <robert.m.kempinski1@jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 08:31:23 -0600

> ----------

        Jim,
        >        Thanks for the phone number. Was this race car built from
        > an original Tiger?  ESPN 2 had no problem calling it a Tiger.

NASCAR racers supposedly race Thunderbirds and Monte Carlos but I doubt
you'd find a single production Ford or Chevy part in any "stock" car.  Same
thing with TransAm cars.  Drag racers are even further from the truth.
Funny car bodies all look alike, they just airbrush a different logo on the
front.  So if you build a tube frame and put a fiberglass body on it, it'd
be a Tiger or what ever.

BTW, Team Tiger's fiberglass body is awesome looking.  I believe you need
the Tiger (or Alpine) tub to hang the fiberglass panels on.  I especially
like the tiger striped paint job on Barry's car.  It must work pretty good
too, as I remember reading somewhere that  Tom Patton said his Tiger was so
fast in SCCA GT2 due to the aerodynamics of the body!!!

Rob Kempinski
Phewston Texas