Re: Brake Problems

To: hendersb@direct.ca
Subject: Re: Brake Problems
From: Steve Semeraro <semeraro@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 18:57:50 -0500
Barrie L. Henderson wrote:

> What he (Steve) said - but I'll raise his 10-1 - to 20-1 - some of it
> has been sucked through the vacuum hose feeding the servo and is long
> gone in blue smoke via the carbs/exhaust - leaving your carbs in a mess
> - a mounting brake fluid bill - and highly unreliable brakes.
>
>   It's not the best solution - but will do for a temporary fix - take
> the servo right out of the circuit and go with purely mechanical (with
> some hydraulic assistance from the fluid) brakes until you can
> rebuild/replace the servo.  I drove that way for a couple of years -
> it's just a matter of 'adjusting' the pshyche (spelling?) to the good
> old days of un-assisted brakes ie lean a little harder on the pedal!
> The brakes still work just fine.
>
> Happy braking,
> Barrie Henderson
>
> Christopher Albers wrote:
> >
> > semeraro@erols.com,Internet writes:
> > >I've been having brake problems.  Here are the symptoms.  Flush the
> > >system and everything seems fine.  Leave the car a few days and the
> > >fluid is real low and the pedal has gotten real soft.  Top up the fluid
> > >and drive around.  Pedal is soft, but stops the car.  Fluid stays where
> > >it is.  Let the car sit for 8 hours and the fluid is back down again.
> > >There is no sign of any fluid leaking out (or at least not hitting the
> > >ground).  My local station, which is usually pretty good, first
> > >suggested that the problem was that I needed new rotors.  OK, so I
> > >bought those.  But now they say I need new calipers.  Is this a likely
> > >cause or are they just switching parts?  If I do need new calipers how
> > >hard are they to rebuild?  Do most folks use rebuild kits or buy
> > >rebuilt
> > >units?  Many thanks in advance for any advice.
> >
> > >Steve Semeraro
> > >Series V Alpine
> > >1968 Marcos GT
> >
> > >From: Steve Semeraro <semeraro@erols.com>
> > >Subject: Brake Problems
> > >Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 19:15:12 -0500
> >
> > Steve,
> >   ten will give you twenty that the brake fluid now resides in the
> > atmospheric chamber (that big black thing) of your servo.  It must be
> > rebuilt.Thanks to everyone who has offered advice on this problem.  Most
>people
have suggested the servo.  But I've never run with a servo.  I may add
one now if I can find a good one since it looks like I'll be going the
whole nine yards with the front brakes.  I've already bought new pads
and rotors.  I guess I'll have the calipers rebuilt and replace the
master cylinder.  By the way, the MC seems like the cause of the fluid
loss.  Thanks again.  Steve