Re: The worst job in restoration

To: alpines@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: The worst job in restoration
From: Jimdamelio@aol.com
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 19:15:02 -0500 (EST)
When I had to do the underside of my Tiger, I built a rotisserie out of two
engine stands and $20 worth of scrap metal.

I'am not an engineer.

Tubing, angle, and square bar all welded together and slid into the jacking
points. Jacking points must be strong. All this attached to the engine stands
with grade 8 bolts, don' t use the bolts that came with the stand.

With this setup the car can't be turned competely over, because when its
turned the lower portion of the car touches the ground, so it won't get to
a complete 90 degree angle, maybe 80, which was good enought for me.

My undercoating was scraped off during the winter, using a 1200 watt hair
blower, putty knife and screw driver. Used paint thinner and a rag to clean
up what was left. The blower softened it up quite well and the putty knife
took it off easily. Lots of sq ft to cover with a putty knife, but at least
the
heat from the blower helped keep me warm.

My bodyman liked the stand so much he took it to his place when he took
my car. Its so much easier to do everything at chest level. Weld all the
lower sheet metal on while your standing up!  No more stooping.

Now I've got to do my Alpine!

Jim