Re: Cooling with Oil

To: "Bill and Carol Rogers" <milward@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling with Oil
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 19:13:06 -0500
At 05:30 PM 11/30/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Now I am in the writing groove, instead of reading all the stuff on the
>water cooling system, what about cooling using the oil?  A Tiger owning
>buddy of mine, Paul McNeil (are you out there Paul) who has had them since
>'65, convinced me that a Hi-Po oil pan (and matching pump) with a windage
>tray would allow me to add an additional quart of oil without problems and
>provide extra cooling. It works for me.   Any of you experts have ideas on
>this?
>Bill Rogers    B9472703

Bill,
        An Oil cooler can help, but you can not get rid of the water cooling as
the heads are water cooled and very little oil flows over the head.
My Tiger II has a dual tube oil cooler that includes a valve.  I assume that
the valve
operates at some temperature, but I don't know for sure.  I do know that it
is a real pain to remove steel chunks from the oil cooler and valve
after a cam shaft has a major failure.  From the looks of the stock Tiger II
oil cooler,( two pipes with copper wire attached in a bottle brush
configuration)
I would assume that it is not very efficient compared to todays state of the
art.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others