Re: Registration

To: "tim vb-o'brien" <vbob@primenet.com>
Subject: Re: Registration
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:14:11 +0000
Regarding the two messages about car registration in CA, I would like to point
out a few pitfalls. Dick said " I lived in Tennessee for a few years and it was
registered there."

In this case, Tennessee would have taken possession of the original CA plates
ti issue theirs. If you don't have the original plates and registration
certificate you must re-register your car as a Tennessee registration.

If Tim still has the CA paper and plates, as if he didn't re-register, he would
still have had to notify the CA DMV with a certificate of non operability. This
would not remove the requirement to pay the annual personal property and
registration fee, but would extend his smog certification till the car is
operable. Then the DMV would issue a one day pass for inspection. Meanwhile,
cars without current tags are not allowed to be on public streets, even parked
in front of your own home.

Lastly, while exemption for smog has been extended for brand-new cars, and
older cars, the bill passed because it was "revenue neutral". The shortfall in
smog certificate income to the state was made up by charging a special tax of
about  $300-$400 to bring a car into CA, and the new car exemption was only for
testing for the first four years, you are still required to pay a fee in-lieu
of the certificate cost.

No free lunch, sorry.

Steve

BTW: This is NOT as legal opinion, just my recollection of the newspaper
articles on the subject. It is possible that I have misstated something.

One more passing comment. I just had my '71 Hand Crafted special, registered as
a Volkswagen because of the chassis VIN, and was shown a slip of paper, now in
renewal certificates, allowing the effectivity of the new regulations to be
immediate. You don't have to get a smog check, if your car would be exempt by
Jan 1, and you are due now. Nice to learn AFTER I paid for the inspection and
certificate.

{8-<

--
                      < one first win, is all >