Re: I can't even get to first

To: Scott Lampert <scottpmc@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: I can't even get to first
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 20:35:31 -0500
At 03:39 PM 1/8/98 +0000, you wrote:
>I am having a problem with my top loader, it won't go into first gear.
>I can shift into reverse and 2,3,4 but no first.
>Any ideas? If i have to pull the trans for a rebuild any tricks?
>
>Scott
>B9472628

Scott,
        First thing is to check the shifter and linkage bushings.
The shifter has alignment  holes about 3/16" or 1/4" through each lever.
The shifter linkage
should allow a similar size  pin to pass through all levers when the shifter
and transmission are in neutral. Replace the bushings at the
transmission/linkages
 if they are worn.  The bushings are advertized in some Mustang
restortation mags.
Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others