Re: Painted ID plates

To: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>,
Subject: Re: Painted ID plates
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 17:21:53 +0000
Marc,

Believe me when I tell you what I went through at the DMV to re-register
the car in my name. It was originally a California car, and remained so
for it's entire life, and had current registration. They did inspect the
Serial Number. Forget "VIN", that's a new term. Serial Number has been
with us almost since cars began. Even in the 40's it was extremely
important that you did not alter the vehicle serial number, which IS on
the registration.

When we used to build hot rods, we would start with a Model A or Model T
chassis, and cut the chassis section that had the serial number stamped
into it. This would then be welded to the new box frame, or chrome-moly
tube frame, of the new rod. When it was registered, it was examined by
the DMV and/or the CHP and registered as a '29 Ford or a '34 Ford
(depending upon the donor).

They may have changed the name of the serial number to VIN, but not the
intent. I could alter the frame around the serial number, but not the
serial number. They paid particular attention to the appearance of the
mounting of the plate and the officer checked, in the SPACE PROVIDED on
his inspection certification, that the ID did not appear to be
"tampered" with when I registered the Tiger last summer. The
registration and ownership certificate list my "B947—--?" right where it
says "VIN". Vehicle Identification Number and Manufacturer's serial
number are the same thing. No "ex-post-facto" law here.

Now I am sure a careful re-riveting would not be noticed. But they do
still care, and the same laws do apply. There are a number of older cars
with specially assigned California "VIN" (serial) numbers on them right
now.

So, I not only have direct experience opposite to your statements, but
would hate to see someone get tangled up with this bureaucracy from
wrong information.

Sorry to disagree.
--
                      < one first win, is all >