Shakle Bushing Replacement

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Shakle Bushing Replacement
From: Frank Marrone <marrone@wco.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 08:39:51 -0800
I was able to change the upper spring shakle busings with out too much
trouble.

I tried pressing the old bushings out using a long bolt, some spacers and
washers but this didn't work.  I just ended up bending washers and the
outer casing of the bushings.  I decided I needed to cut the old bushings
outer casing to get them out.  I used the torch to heat the inner sleeve on
one side, that allowed me to pull the inner sleeve and the rubber out
leaving just the outer casing in the frame rail.  On the other side the
inner sleeve and rubber pulled out without the aide of the torch.  I then
used a cutting chisel to cut down the length of the outer casing.  After I
cut about 2/3rds the way down the bushing finally could be beat out the
rest of the way.  This worked on both sides.  The bosses that the bushings
are pressed into are pretty hard so there were only a few minor scratches
in the holes from the chisel, these I dressed with a file before installing
the new bushings.  The new bushings went in easy using various length long
bolts and appropriate washers and spacers as a poor mans press.  I applied
a little never sieze to the bushings to aide in their insertion.

Thanks to list members for ideas that helped make this easier.

Frank Marrone           MK I Tiger B9471116
marrone@wco.com         '97 Crown Vic LX
                        Yamaha Seca 900 (aka XJ900RK)
                        '79 Spitfire
                        '66 Ford LTD