Re: 5 speed conversion info

To: MWood24020@aol.com
Subject: Re: 5 speed conversion info
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 22:16:57 +0000

MWood24020@aol.com wrote:

> Tony-
> As I wrote in a recent post to the list, A T5 will fit with the correct tail
> section or output shaft housing (refer to Tom Hall's tech tip c/o STOA). A
> Tremec might be kind of stout for a 260 and they don't shift as lightly as the
> T5. The question might be: What bellhousing is out there that has a 5-bolt
> pattern and will accomodate either trans? Clutch throwout is no problem as
> there are (McLeod, Tilton) hydraulic throwout bearing assemblies available.
> They are kind of pricy, but when set up right are sweet. One idea would be to
> look into some of the Mustang providers,as the T5/early model swap has become
> quite popular.
> Mike Wood
> B382002273

Tigers,

I looked into this, fairly thoroughly, for a '66 Mustang 5 spd. conversion.
Fairly extensive tunnel adjustments were needed, even for the T-5. The McCleod
Hydraulic TO bearing tends to leak, and ALL of the ransmissions have the O.A.
length, front bearing retainer, for a 6 bolt fit. The early T-5's, although the
same outer dimensions as the later model World Class, was quite a bit weaker.
There are quite a few draw-backs for a tranny that has a 0.63 final. You may
want
to run 3.55:1 for comfort. The wide ratio Top Loader, except for high speed road
racing, is surpassed in street performance by the wide ratio. The gears fit the
close ratio box, or you can search to find the correct O.A. length (25.5 inches)
for a Tiger. Shortening the already short drive shaft, for other lengths,
including the available T-5's and TREMEC's, will increase the universal joint
angles more than desirable. Either a Tiger II box, or a gear swap, will give
excellent street/freeway acceleration, and still provide the same top gear
ratio.
Don't let the "Wide Ratio" statement throw you, as  the gears are space quite
evenly, they just start lower (52 mph in first instead of 63), and are space
about 1200 rpm apart (at 6000 rpm) rather than 1000 rpm apart. From personal
experience, you'll enjoy the difference.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >