Re: Body Stripping

To: MWood24020@aol.com
Subject: Re: Body Stripping
From: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 20:52:39 +0000
MWood24020@aol.com wrote:
. My concerns are:
> 1. I have heard that dipping the body can, even with lots of prep effort,
> result in chemical agents messing up the final paint coat.

> of the waste is a problem in the state of California.
> I am also curious as to the cost of this type of job, what to expect in terms
> of pocketbook pain.

Mike: You have to clean the body before priming if you have it dipped. I
used a strong ammonia with detergent and water wash to get the
protective light oil off. This was followed with Metal Prep before
appling the primer.(first coat was Ditzler Epoxy bare metal primer.)
That was 11 years ago, and there have been no adhesion problems with the
paint. The cost back then was $900. We flipped the car over onto some
tires and used electric heat guns to scrape off as much of the old under
coat as possible. The reasoning is that although Redi-Strip can take of
under coat, it'll take more time. And the more time your car soaks in
their tank, that much more cash will be leaving your pocket!