Fwd: Body Stripping

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fwd: Body Stripping
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 01:36:59 EST

--part0_886747019_boundary

Ok...I couldn't remember all the details to the T5/Tiger swap, so I went
straight to
Tom Hall for the story.
The source for the tail housing and shift rail is '83 AMC Concorde/Sprint.
This positions the shifter the correct distance back from the bellhousing for
the Tiger trans tunnel. The problem is that the shifter is centrally located,
while the Tiger's top-loader is offset to the left. The solution lies in the
adaptation of the T5 to an early bellhousing. As the patterns, bolt sizes etc.
are different and the T5 input shaft is 5/8" (1" in trans produced 95-on)
longer, an adapter plate is neccesary. The transmission can be rotated the
appropriate amount during the fabrication of the adapter plate to have the
shifter come up through the factory trans tunnel cut-out. This is where the
legend of the crooked shifter arises. If the shift lever is just bent a little
at the base before bolting it to the linkage, the shifter will appear straight
up. An alternative would be to mount the tranny straight up and cut out the
tunnel about 3/4". As the T5 is about 3/4" shorter, the driveshaft needs to
either have a spacer installed or, preferably,  be custom made.
There are a couple of Algers being made in the SF Bay Area which will run T5s
and I believe the owners may read this post and have more details to offer.
Mike Wood
B382002273

--part0_886747019_boundary