Re: Still in the trunk

To: James Pickard <geowiz@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Still in the trunk
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 08:09:54 +0000
Jim,

I looked in my trunk and located your jack holder mount locations.

The jack consists of two pieces, a handle/wrench and the screw jack. The
handle/wrench is "L" shaped with a socket head on one end, and a flat
point on the other. This flat point is for removing tires from wheels.
I've tried similar things on other British cars (which also included a
pair of "tire irons") and recommend you not try this.

There are two vertical clips mounted to the floor of the trunk that snap
on the handle just aft of the socket, and just before the other end. The
socket end is pointed at the outer wheel well at about a 45 degree angle
from fore/aft  car centerline, then, through a 90 degree bend, the other
end of the handle is pointed towards the trunk center. The clips are
positoned to grab the cylindrical portions of the handle shaft and the
clip ears parallel the handle.

The jack is just aft of the handle, and lies parallel to the rear trunk
wall nad on the right side of the car. There are, again, two spring
clips. One at the end just aft of the handle clip, but oriented athwart
ship. The second clip is near the other handle clip, but aft and in line
with the jack. It holds the jack axis parallel to the rear bumper. These
clips appear to be held down by rivets (original factory rivets only,
please {8->). If you are missing the clips, as well as the rivets, you
should still be able to see the holes they were mounted through.

Can't see the vertical wall holes, as my panels are in place, but
suspect you are looking at the hole that the positive battery cable goes
through the inner trunk wall.

Rubber grommets are available from Sunbeam Specialties.
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >

                         _/