Re: Stainless and Aluminized Exhaust

To: Chris Richards <richards@northcoast.com>,
Subject: Re: Stainless and Aluminized Exhaust
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 09:04:24 +0000
Chris, (in Trinadad)

Firstly, I have been watching this lobbing of E-mail over the wire for a
while.  I will assume that you are asking your question in good faith,
and would like a straightforward answer.  So here is my own version:

Exhaust systems have been made from the cheapest type of steel for a
very long time.  This is generally because of the complex bends most
systems have to take to get around all the stuff that's in the way.  The
problem with the cheap steel, although it bends easy, is that it
corrodes
like mad.  The acid in the exhaust gases just eats them away, as well as
the external rust from the ground water.  It's more likely, however,
to rust away faster on the inside.  Mufflers even have small holes in
them to drain away acid laden moisture that condenses inside at eat's
them even when they are not running.

Aluminized exhaust systems came into common usage about 10 years ago
when Detroit started following import practices.  They could still
use easy-bend tubing, then coat them, inside and out, with an sometimes
flame-sprayed aluminum oxide layer to protect against corrosion.  It
worked so well, that cars would actually go 50,000 miles, (or 5 years),
without failing.  Notice that the Federal Governments mandate on
free replacement of pollution control items for 50,000 miles couldn't
have played any major part in the decision to improve the material,
could it?

Stainless steel is really not "stainless".  There are many grades of
stainless, depending on the amount of chromium that has been added to
the
steel alloy. The more chromium, the better corrosion resistance, the
more money, and the harder to fabricate.  Bending good quality stainless

turbine, without cracking or wrinkles, is not easy.  Many "stainless"
systems use a lower grade of "stainless" to avoid that problem.  Some
are more successful than others.  In any event, the material and amount
of tooling and work involved is a good deal more expensive.  The
price of a Tiger "stainless" system is near $500, and doesn't include
brackets.  If you don't weld them to stainless strap (like in Tiger), or
use stainless compatible welding materials, you have a great source for
self-destruction at the joints.  The stainless tubing is not "shiny"
like you
may imagine, but looks much like fresh regular steel.  Kind of a dull
gray.  Difference is, it mostly stays that way.  I say "mostly" because
the cheaper grades of stainless do "stain".  Falcon Systems, in England
I believe, makes a set-up for Tigers.  They are over $500, and some of
our best Tiger suppliers won't carry them anymore.  Victoria British
does - good luck.

Another method of adding corrosion protection, as well as great looks,
is flame spraying of a metal-ceramic coating.  This is done by Jet-Hot
across the country, and costs about $300 for headers alone, if you
supply the headers.  This is an aircraft technology that was developed
for
jet engine turbine blades.  I've seen the results, in many finishes and
colors- including one that looks like chrome, and they are superb, even
after 5 years of racing.

I have personally seen the TT product, although I do not own one, and
they are very well made.  No wrinkles, and no rust after a number of
years.  The bends and squeezed sections of even the two inch version fit
the Tiger and the frame holes.  Installation is not difficult, and you
can weld the joints if you don't think clamping is adequate to seal the
leaks.  I have priced such a system at a good custom muffler shop (that
has tube bending equipment that won't wrinkle the tubing) and they want
about $400 for aluminized.

I hope I have generally answered your questions, and given some
information to make a knowledgeable decision.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >