Re: Intake Manifolds

To: john brawley <johnj7@gte.net>, Tigers Den <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Intake Manifolds
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 1998 15:46:43 +0000

john brawley wrote:

   I am putting a stock 289 back into my car and have both the stock cast
   iron 4 barrel intake manifold and a F4B.  I plan on using a Autolite
   4100 carb and the stock exhaust manifold.

   The question is there any advantage performance wise with the F4B? I
   would like to reduce weight and I can save 20lbs(?) with the F4B.  What

   are the pros and cons of each manifold with my stock configuration?

                           Thanks, John

John,

Just put an F4B on my otherwise stock 260 (plus Pertronix Ignitor
electronic points and re-curved distributor).  It did wonders for the car.

Performance is smooth and much more powerful.  Accelerates with gusto from
stop to 6000 rpm.

HOWEVER, I did not use the Autolite for a couple of reasons.  First, it's
too tall, and your stock air cleaner will hit the hood.  Second, it
isn't as good a performer as a couple of other readily available carbs.
I used a Holley 1848-1, which is the original factory option carb, and
can still be bought new from Holley distributors.  It is a 465 CFM carb,
and is perfectly suited for the 260-289 in anything good on the
street.  For racing, at wide open throttle, and the heck with any other
speed or lags, or poor economy, or other soggy bottom ends from
"over-carburetting", you could use larger.  The Hi-Po system used a Holley
1850, which is 600 CFM.  A smoother carb, but not factory
stock, is the Edelbrock 500 CFM and 600 CFM.  They are both good
performers and I have used them on a few Mustangs.

Hood clearance trick.  The later 600 CFM Holleys, and the Edelbrocks have
a PCV connection in the base of the carb.  No need for a spacer.  The 1848
didn't have a PCV connection, so I used a 1969 Boss 302 1/4 inch plastic
spacer that has a 9/16 th's tube on it.  Still hit the hood at the leading
edge of the air cleaner, where it rubs the paint off.  I got a new 600 CFM
base and put it on the 465 CFM carb. The new base has
the connection, so now all is well.

Anyway, that is my experience.

Steve

--