Re: My worst nightmare; Oil pressure problem

To: Doug Mallory <rdmallory@earthling.net>
Subject: Re: My worst nightmare; Oil pressure problem
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 11:44:09 +0100

Doug Mallory wrote:

   Sounds like the pick up tube came off/loose.
   Yes you can pull the pan quicker then removing the valve covers.
   The only thing that needs to be removed is the starter.

   HTH Doug

Quick hint on starter removal.  It may look like a pretty simple task, just take
out the two bolts.  Boy, what a struggle, until I bought a
"wobbly" extension so the socket can be slightly out of line with the drive.
This, combined with a "folding handle" stubby drive removed all
the pain.  Highly recommend it for a lot of Tiger applications.  They come in
Three flavors (besides the $35 Snap-On for air tools).  You can
get "dedicated" sets of sockets with the extensions permanently attached.  Good,
but higher price solution, and more tools to store.  You can
get a couple of "wobbly" ends for normal sockets and extensions.  I bought one
for 1/4 and 3/8 drive at Harbor Freight for very little.  When
I got to use them, I found the "3/8" was for 1/2" sockets on 3/8 extensions and
drives, while the "3/8" was for 3/8 sockets, but used 1/4
inch extensions and drives.  Pep Boys had a set of three 3/8 extensions of
different lengths that match the 3/8 drives and sockets.  Harbor
also has some of the stubby, folding handle ratchet sets in a 3 size pack.
Pretty good for home use.

They also have a set of 4 box wrenches with a built-in "infinite ratchet".  Not
the offset type with large notch spacings and wide heads.
These are very slim, polished, flat, and unidirectional.  They have an infinite
number of steps (ratchetless), and you flip them over to go the
other way.  Although of limited application (no offset), they really come in
handy when you haven't got any "swing" room.  Pricey.

I can really build up a large bill at a place like that, for stuff I may use
only a few times, but it sure beats swearing when nothing can get at
the sucker.  One drawback, you've got to remember that you bought them, and
where you put them.

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >