Re: My worst nightmare; Oil pressure problem

To: joe brackin <joetiger@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: My worst nightmare; Oil pressure problem
From: Anita Barrett <anitabrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 19:57:00 -0400
At 10:09 AM 4/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
>My worst nightmare has come true. Almost back home in the Tiger and I
>notice the oil pressure gauge shows a perfect zero. The engine has not made
>a bad noise or even a hint of anything wrong. I shut off immediatly and
>coasted to the garage. It's a professionally built 260(with new oil pump)
>with only a couple hundred miles on it.
>So here is what I know so far:
>It's full of oil and no leaks anywhere including the gauge line.
>I removed the gauge line(it's also brand new) from the block and put a hand
>pressure pump on it and the gauge reads about 10 psi.
>I put the gauge line back on and pulled the distributor and turned the oil
>pump with my drill, the gauge does not move and the pump seems to be
>turning real easy.
>So has anybody experienced any intermitent gauge problems or do I have an
>oil pump failure? Any trouble shooting suggestions??
>If the worst is true, can the oil pan be removed and access the oil pump
>without major surgery??
>Any words of wisdom would be welcome.

Joe,
        Pull the pan. High probability that your oil pickup pipe has come loose
from the pump or the oil pump mounting bolts are very loose.

          The oil pan on a Tiger is easy to get off.  It drops streight down.
 Just be sure to clear the various hoses /brake lines that have moved to the
 wrong places.
        I made a test hex shaft by brasing a socket (that fits the hex shaft)
to a 1/4" steel rod.  Put rod in 1/2" electric drill chuck and then place
socket over the
hex shaft of the oil pump.
        Remember to turn the pump counterclockwise.
A 1/2" drill running in reverse and driving the ( test ) hex shaft of the
oil pump
 should give 10 to 20 pounds of oil pressure.  A 3/8" drill will quickly
overheat as the oil pump is a big load.
        If you try to connect the drill directly to the hex shaft then
there is a chance that the chuck will damage the distributer mounting hole.
        Recommend checking your rod and main bearings for damage
while the pan is off.

Jim Barrett Tiger II 351C and others