Re: Heater valve control, etc.

To: Jeff Howarth <jeff@v8tiger.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Heater valve control, etc.
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 08:21:07 +0100
Tigers,

There was a notice that Rick, at Sunbeam Specialties, had a limited number of
MkI new heater valves.

I found my control wire broken at the control arm "pig tail".  Bought some stiff
stainless wire, made a pig tail, and fed it thru the original cable.  The
hardest part was finding a source for the stainess wire.  The largest piano wire
is too small, and the Home Depot only had galvenized.

Finally found a reallly nice roll for $10 and OSH (Orchard Hardware and
Supply).  I believe they are national, and have a very good selection of alll
knids of structural wire.  A little higher cost, overall, than HD, but they have
better selections and higher quality stuff.

It is easier to feed the wire through (from under dash to engine bay, by
unclamping the inside cable sheath before feeding the new wire through.  Make it
as straight a shot as you can, and grease the wire.  I cut the final length
after connection to the valve and excersizing it a bit to assure free movement
of cable.  If valve is jammed, or stiff, it may need cleaning.  Mine comes apart
with a twist and was blocked with gunk, but the seals were good.  Finally got
the heater working, just as the weather turned 90 F.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >