Re: Rear main cap

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net, bruiser@ont.com
Subject: Re: Rear main cap
From: "Doug Leithauser" <dleit@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 17:21:15 PDT
on my car, B9472853, there is also the nipple, or peg in the rear main
cap that holds the seal in place ,but there is not a matching peg in the
block. I was able to replace the upper half of the seal with a readily
available "chinese handcuff" type rope seal installer, then again I've
been a professional mechanic for many years & it might not have been so
easy for an amateur, as it is difficult to get the upper seal in place,
it requires persistence and the correct swear words. It helps to loosen
all the main bearings so the crankshaft can drop slightly. The main
bearing torque is 60-70 ft lbs.
Doug Leithauser