RECLASSIFICATION OF TIGER

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RECLASSIFICATION OF TIGER
From: "Schonberger, Barry" <bkschonb.ucs@smtp.usi.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 98 16:24:22 -0400
Please find below the text of Tom Patton's letter to the SCCA Board of
Directors and Competition Board concerning the proposed reclassification
of the Sunbeam TIGER from GT2 to GT1, effective 1/1/99.  SCCA member
input on this proposal is critical to its defeat.  The Directors will
discuss the proposal at their August meeting.  Your letters can be sent
to:

               SCCA Board of Directors and Competition Board
               9033 East Easter Place
               Englewood, CO 80112

"Dear Directors and Comp Board Members:

I would request the rethinking of the proposed class change for the
Sunbeam Tiger, GT2 to GT1 effective 1/99.  I have competed in C/P and now
GT2 since 1980.  I have paid my dues by steadily improving the package
until where it is today.  I was the field filler in the early years  when
Datsun's and Mazda's dominated the class.  I take offense in the wording
of the proposed class change about 'performance potential.'  Why was the
Tiger singled out?  Why not the Ferrari or the Jaguar.  They, too, have
untapped performance potential.  They do have tremendous potential, but
do not have nearly 20 years of continuous development.  GT2 is in trouble
but why kick out the one competitor that has supported it for 20 years
with an average 9 races per year?  How many races has a GT2 Toyota
entered in that time?  So why would we regulate the Tiger to a class
where one year old Trans Am cars rule the class?  Maybe we should address
where are the Nissans, 914's & RX7's  Why are they staying home, or are
they?  They are running with other clubs and, yes, even other classes in
SCCA.  Improved touring and E production have both taken potential cars
from the class.  The Sunbeam has not dominated the class!  Look at the
past GT2 champions.  Dave Finch and Duane Davis have dominated, taken all
but one title this past decade.

In regard to the GT1 classification, there has been no mention of a rules
package.  But I think safety is a key factor and GT1 poses several
problems.  The Tiger races with GT1 all season long, but racing together
versus racing for position are two different stories.  The Tiger has an
eighty-six inch wheelbase, non existent aerodynamics, and, quite frankly,
is difficult for the GT1 cars to see!  Last year alone I was hit three
times by GT1 cars that did not see me!  Peter mentioned we probably would
receive GT1 engine specs.  Money is always an issue, and that would make
my two plus engines obsolete overnight.  Furthermore, the increased
horsepower (200-300 more) would not be useable in the current chassis.  I
do not have 400 HP!  I have built my chassis to utilize the torque.  That
is an advntage my car has.  For 20 years I have stayed within the engine
preparation rules that are quite restrictive.

Why move auguably the most popular car out of competition?  Will more
cars com out?  Will Toyota have an easier time?  Peter made the statement
that someone could build a "killer Tiger."  Someone already hs made a
killer Celica and Porsche 944, but why would anyone in their right mind
invest all that money with no factory support and no return?  As I said
before, GT2 is in trouble and it may go away in a couple of years.  Why
reduce its chances of survival by taking out one of the classes major
subscribers?  The Tiger is a real sports car and does belong racing
against the GT2 competition.  Others scream the Tiger does not belong.
Must I remind everyone we were in the class long before their chassis and
factory monies hit the track!

The Competition Board has many options open for  competition adjustments!
 Maybe they should look at these options or, better yet, study why the
cars that are built are not racing.  I am proud of my accomplishments in
SCCA club racing.  I have taken a car that was deemed uncompetitive and
have made it a contender.  I did not do it alone, as Craig Carter and
Kevin Doran have helped immensely in the development of my chassis.  With
the development of the radial slicks and the chassis work, we have
transformed this backmarker into a formidable machine.  I spend way too
much money and time in my pursuit of the GT2 title!  I do not wish to
become uncompetitive with the latest Riley & Scott Chassis.  I hope the
Comp Board and the Board of Directors may find another solution, but, at
the least, realize there is no sense of urgency onr reclassifying the
Tiger.

There are four other Tigers that have raced in the past few years.  None
with anywhere near the success we've had.  Don't punish me because of
hard work and my 'never give up' attitude."

Barry Kent Schonberger
Dean of Students
University of Southern Indiana
8600 University Blvd.