Re: Timing

To: "tiger list" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Timing
From: "James H. Shadowen" <shad@gate.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 21:26:41 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Hankins <jhankins@ix.netcom.com>
To: tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Cc: Joe <joseph.hankins@factory-mutual.com>
Date: Tuesday, June 23, 1998 7:53 AM
Subject: Timing

Joe,   I don't know where you are in your engine setup or what reference
materials you have but I would urge you to check, check, and recheck firing
order.  If your distributor (and cap) have been removed/replaced there is
always a chance of of installing plug wires out of sequence and it can cause
all sorts of poor running.  The cylinders are numbered from front to rear
with 1,2,3,& 4 on the right bank and 5,6,7,& 8 on the left bank.  The firing
order for 260/289's is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8.   Looking down on the distributor,
starting with the wire from #1 and going counterclockwise, the other wires
should be installed in the sequence of the firing order.  It is also
important that the wires to cylinders 7& 8 not be routed adjacent to each
other in the wire looms.  7 should be in the rear slot of the looms and 8
should be in the front slot to keep them as far apart as possible.
Otherwise, one wire can induce a spark in the other wire with unpleasant
results.   This is all covered in the manuals and if you have already
checked I apologize for boring you, but as I said I don't know where you are
coming from.  If you still think the problen is timing I would rotate the
distributor while the engine is running and see how the engine responds.
Rotating clockwise will advance, Counterclockwise will retard.  Extreme
retard will cause loud exhaust and power loss; extreme advance can cause
pinging, power loss and coughing but there should be a band of normal
operation in between.  I would not drive it much without more accurate
timing but you can put your mind at ease and then follow the postings on how
to find top dead center.

Jim  B382001208

original post:

For the remaining .001% of the world to whom I have not yet displayed my