RE: Timing

To: "Joe Hankins" <jhankins@ix.netcom.com>, "tigers" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Timing
From: "Allan Connell" <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:55:14 -0700
Joe,

Simply, most people will use a NO. 2 pencil to determine TDC.  If I am wrong
I am sure the list will correct me.  First, remove #1 spark plug.  If you
can do so without screwing yourself up, remove them all to reduce
compression....you will see why in a minute.  Insert a pencil into the #1
Spark plug hole.  With the car in 4th gear, have someone carefully move the
car backwards or forwards to turn the crankshaft while you hold on the to
pencil with very light pressure down towards the piston.  As the car moves
you will feel the pencil move up or down, so adjust your car motion so that
the piston is moving up.  Once the piston is moving up toward TDC and
someone is moving the car SLOWLY for you, take care to maintain contact with
the top of the piston.  Extra car must be taken as you approach TDC to avoid
the pencil being snapped off in the combustion chamber.  I have never had it
happen, but that does not mean it can't.  Once it reaches TDC, you will be
able to tell with the pencil once piston #1 had reached the apex of its
travel.  This position should be TDC.  Mark the dampener accordingly or note
that it is properly marked at TDC.

Now that you have TDC, you can look at the other issues.  One question I
have for you is the "Ford Dual-Point with a Pertronics Ignitor"  I like the
Pertronics stuff and would like to replace the points in my Accel
distributor with Pertronics, but they don't make such a kit.  Can you please
tell me more regarding your "Ford Dual-Point" as this is the "Trouble-free
and reliable" set-up I would some day like to convert to, along with a T-5
tranny.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Allan