Re: holley carb

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: holley carb
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 07:41:25 +0100

James Barrett wrote:

> At 04:41 PM 6/23/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >help,Im being gased out...
> >Alicia & Dan,
>         Be sure you set the fuel level in the bowl.
>          Fuel level should be at the point that fuel
> just barely dribbles out of the sight screw hole in the
> side of the fuel bowl.  Adjust the fuel level by adjusting
> the needle and seat assy.  Hold locknut and remove the large
> flat head screw from the needle and seat assy. Rotate lock nut
> to raise or lower fuel level. (run electric fuel pump to check).
>         If you can not get the fuel level down no matter how much
> you adjust things, then the needle and seat may be leaking
> or the float may be filled with gas. Remove and replace.
>
> To check a brass float, remove it and shake it close to your
> ear.  If you hear anything inside the float it is bad.  Soldering
> to repair a brass float is bad news as you can get burned bad
> when it explodes.
>
> James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others

You can always rely on Jim for some valuable and practical advice.  Here are
just a few added iiems.

A few more.  There are transparent plugs for the sight holes, so you don't loose
gas. Rewmove after use or they turn yellow.

You don't have to remove the large flat head.  Just hold it steady and turn the
nut.

There are also "tabs" on the floats that bear against the needles seat, and may
not be properly alignee.  My brand new from the box Holley is at top adjustment
to barely get the fuel at the right level.  I'm told this is ok, becasue things
tend to make the level drop, and  now I have plenty of adjustment, but you
should make sure the "tabs" are properly bent.  Mine were.

Steve

--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >