Re: Furflex piping

To: James Pickard <geowiz@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Furflex piping
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 07:59:18 +0100

James Pickard wrote:

> I'm restoring a hardtop and I need the two furflex piping strips that hide
> the headliner edge at the top of the roll-up windows.  These pieces are
> apparently no longer available from Sunbeam Specialties.  Does anybody else
> stock these things or know of a suitable substitute?  Thanks.
>
> Jim Pickard
> B9473298

Jim,

I am pleased to tell you that Curt Meine, of Classic Sunbeam, carries an
acceptable substitute for the original "Furflex" piping.  The usual replacement
has a molded pattern on plastic/rubber and just doesn't look the same.  Curt has
one that has a black woven fabric adhered to the spring loaded foam "U", with a
"D" shapped seal section as well.  Although the total thickness appears large,
the rubber is a foam type and squeezes well.  I pushed the excess rubber along
the junction with the outer windsheild rubber seal with my fingers and a plastic
"putty" knife edge, and narrowed it down by capturing the edge in the crack and
windsheild rubber strip edge..  The rest I just left alone, except cutting off
the metal core at the bottom for the completion of the door seal.

 So far, I didn't even use the pop-rivets.  That's a good thing, because I'm not
sure how to find where to drill it.  A rubber "cap" for the top of that edge
"capper" is available to members at the C.A.T. warehouse.  It needs to be glued
on, as there is not steel in it.

All-in-all it looks very good.

He also carries a nicely woven, and smoother fabric, piece for the door bottom
edge (without the extra door seal rubber).

I put his 'furflex' on for Big Bear, and it looked fine.  My doors close well,
but some extra tight ones might need a little more "push".

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >