Re: Hardtop Bows

To: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Hardtop Bows
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 16:41:16 +0100
Jim,

On your question about the dimensions of the "z" piece for the front headliner
attach, I had it handy, literally, for a month.  It is now fully installed per
my instructions on the list, and I don't expect to see it again anytime soon.
Spent two winters staring at it mounted on the outside of my old headliner.
Really don't want to see it again any time in the next 20 years.

I can, however, give you the original Rootes Design Specification:

101-256-303, Finisher, Trim, Hard Top Hood Liner, Series 3 through 5 and MarkI
and II Sunbeam.  The young apprentice shall be given the production hard top
shell prior to shipment.  Special Tooling required:  a strip of thin steel, a
body former's hammer #3, a leather bag of sand,  a manual hand drill, a 1/8
drill bit (unsharpened), a dull centre punch, an handful of Genuine Rootes
Rivets (account for each one used), and the following instructions"  "Following
Rootes General and Specific Workmanship and Fabrication Rules, take the
materials and tools provided and construct the article desired by bending to
fit, and hammering to match."  After inspection, to assure that this part will
only fit this particular top, use the can of mottled brown spray to coat the
article, and throw it in the "Finished Production" bin.  Place a chalk mark with
the hard top serial number on the piece.  The serial number will be found on the
paper tag attached to the hard top.  REmove that tag before sending the unit on
to the next station, and file it in the round file.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >