Re: Dash/Instruments

To: "Dr. Tym McDowell" <tym@exit3.com>
Subject: Re: Dash/Instruments
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 11:18:32 +0100

Dr. Tym McDowell wrote:

> I'm replacing the instruments in my "apart" Mk1A.
> Is there a loop that runs from gauge to gauge necessary for grounding.
> Also, I'm using an engine-turned aluminum dash instead of wood.
>
> Should this be grounded?
>
> Where can I obtain ATE fastenders for the front signal/direction lights?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Tym McDowell

Tym,

Last I checked, Aluminum is conductive, and some of the original dash brackets
fasten directly to the dash face, automaticallly grounding it. A quick check
with an ohmeter between the instrument case and the mounting studs will probably
confirm they are both ground.  This would mean you don't even need that "daisy
chain" ground wire anymore. Although you might consider whether you can live
with the reflections in your face when the sun is behind.

I would seriously consider using an engine turned stainless steel, rather than
aluminum.  It's shine will last a lot longer, and look better too.  I found the
secret about stainless and fingerprints.  Most of our kitchen stuff (range,
oven, dishwasher, refrigerator, hood) are brushed stainless, but we are careful
where we out our greasy fingers.  Our new Amana side-by-side has a stainless
front that is even prettier than the others, and you can palm it all day long
without leaving a print.  The jelly our grandkids put on cleans off with a wet
sponge, and with no streaks.  The "secret" is that they put a clear coat of
polyurethane over the brushed stainless.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >