RE: Overheating

To: "Dave Binkley" <dbinkley@argotech.com>, <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Overheating
From: "Allan Connell" <alcon@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 11:01:04 -0700
Dave,

As Doug, Jan, Bill and John have noted, you should NOT be puking coolant at
a 205 degree engine temp, especially at 50 degrees ambient outside.  The
rules John gave you are a good place to start.

First thing you need to do is to find out where you are puking fluid from,
and is your loss of coolant in liquid form or steam.  Jan's suggestion of a
test kit is a good idea at this point.  Also try: letting your car idle in
the driveway until it comes up to temp and starts steaming or expelling
coolant.  Second thing is to check the calibration on your temp gauge.
Borrow a Fluke meter from someone who has a temp probe attached.  I'd let
you borrow mine, but it's a long drive from the Bay Area to San Diego.  Good
question here: is your gas gauge reading accurately??  If not, you may have
a problem with your voltage regulator for the gauges, which is located under
the dash.

If you discover it is steam that is escaping, Bill is correct that you most
probably have air in your system.  Burping can help but I am not sure it
will cure your problem.  I would suspect that if this is the case you have
some cavitation occurring in your system, which could be caused by a number
of factors, including improper hoses or partial radiator blockage.  I would
also look into Jan's notion that a portion of your radiator may be blocked.
How old is the radiator??  Has it ever been "rodded-out"??  Contacting the
PO and getting some history on the car would be very helpful.

Providing your beast is completely stock (some will not agree with me) I
personally see no need to modify the cooling system other than to go to a
four-row hi-efficiency core.  You should only do this if you whittle the
problems down to a blocked radiator or bad water pump.  Either way, to get
to this stuff, you gotta remove it, so why do it twice.

Based on what you have told us, I am suspicious of two things: 1) Radiator,
or 2) Water pump.  With regard to the radiator, it sounds from your
description that you have a leak, if so there is also a great probability
that you have a partial blockage of scale in the thing.  These could easily
lead to the formation of steam, secondary to cavitation.  With water pumps,
the thing that usually craps out is the bearing.  This is easy to diagnose
by removing the fan belt and seeing if you can move the shaft on the water
pump by moving the fan blades.  Also, there is a weep hole under the shaft
of the water pump.....if coolant appears to be coming out of this hole, no
matter how the shaft feels the bearing near the impeller is about to crap
out.  Personally, I have never seen steam come out of this weep hole before,
usually just liquid coolant.

The occurrence of steam and the rapid temperature rise at speed make me
think of cavitation (formation of bubbles and air pockets,) being the real
culprit.

Not to worry, your car is just giving you a warning.  Running at 205 will
not (IMHO) do any real damage to your car, and (again IMHO) running at 180
is just a little cool.  190 to 200 is about optimum.

Sorry to the list for the long post.  I have attempted to avoid duplication.
Dave: good luck, let us know what you find out and how we can help.

Allan
B9472373