Re: Identification

To: Bill Gullatt <bgullatt@traveller.com>
Subject: Re: Identification
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 10:59:05 +0100
Bill,

The TAC team ONLY looks for the "origin" of the chassis, not the quality of
anything.  They will issue a certifictate to a rusty bucket of bolts with a
Chevvy in it, as long as it's a rusty Tiger bucket of bolts.  They will comment
on whether the VIN plate may have had the rivets replaced, but do NOT use that
as a criteria for issuing/denying certification.

I am NOT a TAC official, am NOT connected to the certification committee, just a
member of S.T.O.A., and a believer in a program to assure fraud is not being
committted. I have yet to hear anyone come out in favour of fraud.  All the
arguments are about "freedom of information", "right to know", "tell me all the
criteria".  Well, I just have.  The criteria is that the chassis, regardless of
condition or added/changed equipment for any purpose, including resotration,
originally came off the Jensen line as a Tiger (not an Austin-Healy or
Interceptor).  Those who want to buy, want to know this.  Those who want to
restore know what needs to be left alone.  Those who want, or have stepped over
the line (and I will NOT respond to "who has the RIGHT to define "LINES") appear
to be the only ones with a reason to argue so vehemently about motives,
parentage, justice, freedom, and the American Way.

I am not getting into a contest about "need-to-know" or
"freedom-of-information.  I certainly agree that it would be much better if the
program were wider spread to the rest of the country.  These are all unpaid
volunteers, with NO expenses paid, who do this for love of the car, and those
I've met are competent, knowledgeable, and I would be glad to call them freind.
Obvioiusly, they do not get the "love" of all the complainers.  I do not think
everyting is perfect, as I have said, but neither do I accept that there is a
Cabal out to increase the value of their own cars, some secret society, some
grand scheme, or some "hidden agenda's"

I love the "X-Files", but this is not one of them.

On the other hand, I am not as sure there isn't a hidden agenda behind some
vocal complainers.  If you are not one, don't  worry.  If you are, your motives
are known.  If your just interested in the program, you've heard it more than
once.

OK, I'm getting down.  It's your soap box, and I don't ever care to get on it
again.  If you don't like the "game", don't play.

Sincere Steve (not a joke in here)
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >