RE: Aluminum Heads

To: "'BCARTUS@aol.com'" <BCARTUS@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Aluminum Heads
From: "Kempinski, Rob" <KEMPIRO@mail.northgrum.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 08:34:37 -0400
Thanks all for the input on the aluminum heads and tranny gears.

I guess I should have mentioned in my first message that in a previous
engine rebuild, (about 5 years ago) I made significant mods to the
motor.   I installed a CompetionCam HP289 cam, Offenhauser aluminum
intake, beefed up the electrical system with Accel components, put on a
Holley 4 BBl carburetor, fat core radiator, Rhodes lifters, new forged
pistons, new crank, double chain timing gear, Melling oil pump,
Centerforce clutch, Competition Cam valve springs and ported exhausts.
Since the short block was dynamically balanced then I don't plan to mess
with the short block now.   (BTW, I have kept all the major
non-consumable original parts so the motor could go back to the way Ford
made it.)  The heads and transmission are the only component I left
moderately stock, though I did have stellite seats put in the old head,
and CCed and polished the combustion chambers, and did a minor port job
on the bowls.

Since I'm taking the engine out, I'm considering aluminum heads, for the
weight savings, heat transfer, and performance.  So far, the only
potential source is perhaps Edelbrock.  Most of the 5.0 stuff for
contemporary Mustangs has too big a bore.

Rob Kempinski
Northrop Grumman Technical Services
Phone (703) 713-4284
FAX (703) 713-4230