Re: Header Heat

To: nfgjr@juno.com
Subject: Re: Header Heat
From: JEFF_CARTER@HP-Cupertino-om5.om.hp.com
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 17:47:26 -0700
     This being said, can someone enlighten me as to why Ford's greater
     wisdom allowed them to make the decision to produce a starter w/ a
     solenoid mounted to it; i.e. my '92 F150 (5.0).  Further, the whole
     starter/solenoid assembly has to be replaced when the solenoid goes
     out!

     There's also a remote solenoid on the fenderwell.  Maybe one of the
     double E's on the list can sort this out?

     My first car was a brand x.  It had headers and I couldn't tell you
     how many times I had to replace the solenoid.  Later, I bought a Ford
     and drove the damn thing 167K before the engine let loose.  The
     starter and the solenoid were still original.

     465 miles from San Diego,

     JCarter

Author:  Non-HP-nfgjr (nfgjr@juno.com) at HP-ColSprings,shargw5
Date:    7/26/98 5:13 PM

Before you worry about heat and hard starting you for your Tiger you have
to realize that with "brand x" the starter solenoid is integral to the
starter. When the solenoid gets hot the current required to operate it
goes up. With Ford starters  the solenoid is seperate and generaly
mounted on the fender/firewall and hence no problem.
The Garlands
nfgjr@juno.com