Re: Frank Marrone's email messages

To: Bill Goebner <wgoebner@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Frank Marrone's email messages
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 16:20:56
Bill, et Listers,

As I mentioned in a recent posting, I think these garbled e-mail problems
arise when the list server strips out all the fancy HTML stuff from
messages sent with mixed or HTML text. I think, if this is the case, the
only way for everyone to be able to read these messages easily is to remind
people NOT to send e-mail to the list with anything but 100% PLAIN TEXT
format. Most e-mail programs warn you if you are sending anything fancy and
ask if you are really sure you want to do this. The right answer is NO!
unless you are sure the recipient has an e-mail client that can read HTML.

Regarding the proposal to allow attachments of a modest size (100k?) and
support for Rich Text Format (*.rtf), that sounds like an excellent idea.
This would definitely open up our bandwidth and allow, as Rich said,
pictures, spreadsheets, etc. Probably this extra bandwidth carries a price,
but it does open up a world of possibilities. Of course this also opens up
the possibility of sending nasty viruses to us trusting souls. Along those
lines, I am thinking about creating a "smart virus" that selectively
targets individuals based on screen name or certain other key words to
activate it. Once activated, it unsubscribes the user from the list, then
erases the computer's hard drive and system BIOS. OOOOPS! Sorry, just
kidding. Really!! ;>)  ;>)  ;>)  ;>)  ;>)

Livin' it up in San Diego,

Bob

At 09:44 AM 7/28/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I'd like to know if I'm the only one that can't easily read Franks messages.
>When I view the lines of text, they don't break at about 80 characters but
keep
>going and I have to shift my screen to view it (them).
>
>Feedback please,
>Bill

Bob Palmer
UCSD, AMES Dept.