Spin Out (no Elvis content)

To: "Tigerlist *" <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spin Out (no Elvis content)
From: "Larry Wright" <lrw@aop.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 08:14:08 -0400
Bob Palmer wrote:
>Oh yes Larry, back to your question about polar moment vis-a-vis the
>propensity to spin out.((SNIP)) I apologize for using your
>astute observation as an excuse to beat up on Friedman

That's OK by me. Anyway:
a) I don't know of a way to calculate PMoI
b) I don't see a _reasonable_ way to modify it (I'm not filling the bumpers
w/lead, for instance)
c) I am not certain we would _want_ to. Trade off nimble handling for
stability enough and 'voila', we're driving Buicks.Or something else. The
fastest I've ever driven, back in 1975, was in a 1958 Chrysler 300D. I
think it was 5200 on the tach, worked out to +/- 150mph. Car was more
stable than the Garage Queen at half that speed. But I sure wouldn't want
to drive that beast on a twisty road!!!

>I don't think an engineer would argue

Bob, I do not recommend starting sentences that way; you're leaving
yourself wide open. :-)

>But let's consider some
>examples; like Porshes for instance. I'll bet their polar moments are less
>than a Tiger's

Really? With the motor hung out the back? Hey, I'll have to believe you,
see (a) above.
I do recall that incomparable automotive journal, Consumer Reports,
slamming both the 914 and the Fiat X1/9 back in the mid 70's for exactly
this.

>If you want something easy to drive, don't buy a
>Porshe (excluding the 944 of course) or a Tiger. But driven properly, they
>can use their good maneuverability to advantage.

i.e., "If you can't drive it, park it".
BTW, almost got rear-ended last night while waiting to make a left turn.
Glad the new leather seats clean up easily! :-)

Lawrence R. Wright
Purchasing Analyst
Andrews Office Products, Division of USOP
PH 301-386-7923  FX 301-386-5333
lrw@aop.com