Re: Engine Rebuild

To: rzimm@hhh.umn.edu, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 00:29:28 EDT
Hi Randy
 On 8/4/98 \you wrote:
<<<<<I have a question for the group, especially those that have rebuilt
their 260's:

I'm in the process of re-assembling my engine and in the rebuild kit
I got I have a cast iron timing sprocket for the cam.  It differs
from the aluminum and nylon sprocket it's replacing in that it
doesn't have a spacer built it.  According to the manual I'm using,
Ford makes a C shape spacer (C20Z-6265-A) that's supposed to work.  I
ordered one from a resupplier in Ohio but the part is 1/32nd " too
narrow.  The spacer needs to be a full 1/4" wide or the cam freezes
against the block when the sprocket is bolted to the cam.

Has anyone had this problem and found a solution?  I don't want to
re-install the old sprocket because the chain has too much play (at
least 1/2").

Any advice would be welcome.  Thanks.

Randy Zimmermann
St. Paul, MN

66 MkIa (B382002349)>>>>

Well Randy
I have JUST rebuilt my 260.It is sitting in the garage awaiting installation
in its new home Friday.One more light coat of paint  in the engine compartment
then in it goes.
In answer to your question I went with a  double roller  timing chain set from
Performance Auto Wholesale(PAW).I got the one for an early 289.I never noticed
any binding or hanging up .I turned the engine over a lot to make sure it was
"free".
 My advice to you is to not use that timing chain set and purchase a roller
set.
Are you going to use a stock replacement cam?
 The PAW timing set that I used cost $24.95 The PAW ph # is
818-678-3000.Catalogues cost $5 (and are HUGE!!!!),a dollar or two more if you
have it shipped first class mail.
I bought some other items from PAW and had some balancing work done locally.
 If I had it to do all over again I would go with a 302 and not put all that
money into this  obsolete 5-bolt  crap.
 Good Luck
 Tony
PS . I dont have any interest in PAW,but I like a "good deal".