Re: Fuel Pump, Which one is best?

To: gary_winblad@juno.com (Gary A Winblad)
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump, Which one is best?
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 22:20:12 -0700
Gary, et Listers,

Gary, thanks for the "scoop on the SS new and "improved" fuel pump.
Probably most of us will want to consider some other alternative. Just to
add another personal anecdote to this thread, several years back I bought a
Mallory Comp Pump, Series 70. Instead a vanes, it uses a "gerotor" which is
just like a miniature oil pump. This is not a "centrifugal" pump, as was
referred to in another posting. Although Mallory suggests putting this pump
as close a possible to the fuel tank, they also want a fuel filter between
the tank and the pump. Some other pumps say, and with good reason, that
putting a filter before the pump doesn't work. The point is, in any
reasonable installation the Mallory pump will generate enough vacuum when
dry to prime itself. It is also a little noisy and runs constantly, not on
demand like some others.

Recently, on a trip to LA, this pump gave me some problems. It did fail in
a progressive and somewhat forgiving manner but I eventually had to call my
buddy Dale Akuszewski to come to my rescue. He found the problem was the
brushes in the DC motor and, after cleaning them up and replacing them, I
was back on the road. I wish I could be more specific about how many hours
was on this pump before failure, but it was the equivalent of quite a bit
more than 15-20k miles I'm sure.

All in all, I'd still recommend this pump over the others I've tried.

Bob