Re: Fuel Pump, Which one is best?

To: Bob Hokanson <tgrr2@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Pump, Which one is best?
From: Steve Laifman <Laifman@Flash.Net>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 11:59:26 +0100

Bob Hokanson wrote:

> I am running a Mallory 140 pump and they are not quiet......  The one thing
> you have to
> remember about centrifugal pumps is that they push fuel like crazy but
> don't suck it uphill worth a damn, so it is imperative that you mount it
> low, near the tank. If I remember correctly, it puts out about 7psi.
> Bob

My experience with the SU, on my MG and Jaguar, was that they were a good pump,
and low pressure (which is good if your needle seats aren't set up for
pressure.  I ususually try to keep it about 6-7 psi.  Regulators are available.
The only problem with the SU is that the mechanical points can get dirty and
need maintenance, and a good umbrella to wack it if it sticks.  It is quite, but
loud enough to know it is working a switch-on.  The best feature is that it is
able to "pass gas", that is vapours, that can cause vapor lock on other pumps.
It just rattles away like mad till the fluid is in the system.  Never had vapor
lock on an SU, and above tank mount isn't a problem.

Sunbeam Specialties has a modified model, of the original equipment design, that
takes the current load off the points with semi-conductors.  This would decrease
the major problem.  Cost about $100 new.

Steve
--
                      < one first win, is all >
                      < you get in this life. >