Fwd: Odds and Ends- Engine critique

To: Tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fwd: Odds and Ends- Engine critique
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 09:17:36 EDT

--part0_902755056_boundary

From: FrizBMG@aol.com
To: JEFF_CARTER@HP-Cupertino-om5.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Odds and Ends- Engine critique
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 22:05:32 EDT

Hi Jeff
 On 8/9/98 you wrote
> Is there an easy (ier) way to get bolts out of the crossmember?

     Find a large magnet (an old speaker magnet?) and see if you can't track
     the bolt back up to the hole.

> PS.Do the front end shims(the aluminum spacers)between the crossmember and
the
> frame get installed large side facing front?

     As Gary mentioned, the large end goes to the rear.  If your local, I
     have a rivet gun and the spare rivets. (San Jose)  Let me know.

     JCarter   >>>
 Well thanks for the offer of a rivet gun.I am in Columbus Ohio. Well I had a
50-50 chance of getting it right.I did not remove the old shims .They were
removed when the car got sandblasted.They were very coroded and unusable.Got
some new ones from Tiger Auto in Dayton.They didnt have the small holes
drilled in for the poprivets so I didnt think they were important.Actually it
works out in my favor that I didnt pop rivet the shim to the crossmember.This
way I can let down the bolt on one side and  support the crossmember with the
floor jack and then carefully remove the bolt from the other side and turn the
shim around and then repeat the process.If I had used the rivets instead of
the ducttape I would have to undo and then re-do everthing.Besides the rivets
dont perform any vital function other than pinning the shim in place so the
crossmember can be installed-right?
 I like the idea of using a big magnet to walk the bolt to the hole.
 Thanks for the ideas .
Aint this internet "carclub " stuff great!?
Gee a whole new realm to discuss new uses for ducttape in!(snicker)
Tony

--part0_902755056_boundary--