Re: Fw: Windshield

To: Jim Shadowen <shad@gate.net>
Subject: Re: Fw: Windshield
From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 15:21:21 -0700

Jim Shadowen wrote:

>   My Triplex from VB does not show where it was made.
> Do some Triplex windshields say "made in england"?
>
>  I too, am about to buy a windshield  so I would appreciate input.
>
> Jim

Jim,

When I was in England, and was touring the Morgan "factory", I noticed a large
stack of boxed chrome Dunlop wire wheels.  The boxes were stamped "Made in
India".  Don't know what's on the wheels .  I was the President of a metal
forming equipment manufacturere when I was in Chicago.  WE sold automated
rim-wheel making machinery to GM, Ford, and Schwinn.  This would start with a
roll of strip steel, go through a series of cutting, welding, weld stripping,
and 4 stations of roll-forming machinery to get the rim correct.  It was then
welded to the center and (for the expensive cars) pressed ROUND by an external
press.  They were turning out 1000 wheels an hour.  No human labor.  Pretty
impressive.  Schwinn made all they're domestic wheels using a tube and a series
of rolling and puching operations.  Again all automatic.

Sold some of this delicate automated bicycle equipment to an Indian company.
When they inquired about the floor loading requirements, and the utilities, we
asked them to send us their building plans, and we would look them over.  The
response was "WE didn't plan to have a building.  Just a slab".  Can you
imagine what this equipment and the parts it made, would look like with outdoor
production.  The dirt and dust would eat it alive, not to mention the rain.

So, if it doesn't say what country made it, maybe you should be a little
suspicious.  All the English stuff says "Made in England" or "Made in GB".

"Ne Caveat Emptor", which can be loosely translated as "DON'T BUY ANYTHING FROM
VB"

Steve

(Didn't I say that before?)
--