Re: 302W Heads

To: Tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 302W Heads
From: TigerCoupe@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 00:18:16 EDT

> Hey folks,
>  I need a little guidance here.
>  I found a 64 ranchero with a somewhat stock 260 engine in it.  Paint is
>  excellent. Some mods to the rear end...9bolt something or other. 302
>  heads on the motor.. but this guy has all of the stock parts as well.
>  What is the car worth.  Overall excellent shape.. new valve job.  West
>  Coast car.  How Much??

During the 80's I had 4 '64 Falcon Sprints with 260's, and 2 '65 Ranchero's
with 289's, in addition to the Tigers.  And all at the same time! I rebuilt
the engines on all but one of them at one time or another, and needless to
say, my supply of Ford parts for my vehicles was pretty well standardized.
But no matter how many $$$$ I would pour into a Falcon, it seemed the most you
could ever get for one was about $2500.  They're all long gone by now, but
just last month my daughter stumbled onto my best Sprint which some guy had
just bought for $4500.  I don't think things have changed much in the Falcon
world.  So I would guess the Ranchero you've found is worth $3000---$4000,
tops.  I'll say one thing for those Falcons (and the early Mustangs):  their
stock brakes have to be the worst brakes in the world!

Depending on the chamber volume, I would think a stock 260 with 302 heads
(read big chambers) would be a real dog.  They're bad enough with stock heads.

Dick Barker