Re: TAC, and the rebuilt Tiger story

To: "Rich Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Subject: Re: TAC, and the rebuilt Tiger story
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 14:40:01 -0700
Rich, et Listers,

Again, I can't claim to offer "official" TAC policy, but first off, they
only consider two categories of car; those that are authenticated and those
that aren't. No "Re-Bodied Tiger" label, no scarlet "A", etc. for those who
tried and failed. Norn's posting of Algers on his web site is a completely
separate deal. There may even be, or at least could be, TAC people who
disagree with Norm either posting this information or whether the
information is even correct. The worst that can happen if you present your
car for authentication is that you will be very politely told that your car
"cannot be authenticated".  Now, how many tell-tale criteria need to be
satisfied, etc. is known only to TAC as far as I know. We can assume that
you need to have at least one to qualify, but probably not 100%. But I'm
sure the TAC people don't want to set themselves up for a liable suit by
going around pointing fingers at suspected Algers. They have enough to deal
with already. So, if anyone thinks the TAC program will stop stuff like
what happened at the Pebble Beach auction, you're probably going to be
disappointed. In fact, this incident proves just the opposite; in spite of
the fact that everyone (except, of course, the buyer) knew this car to be
an Alger didn't stop it from being both offered for sale and, in fact,
sold. This is kind of like saying that what we need is more laws to stop
the criminals. Hey, I don't think so!! Now think about the person who sold
this particular car at Pebble Beach; he has got to be some kind of felony
stupid to place them self in jeopardy of a serious law suit. It's this kind
of threat that should deter people from trying to defraud.  But then there
are even people dumb enough to think they can rob banks for a living.  I
guess some people just have to learn the hard way!! It'll be interesting to
see, in this particular case, if justice is done.

Bob

At 02:14 AM 8/18/98 +1000, you wrote:
>    Well, I'd have to disagree.  - - -

snip, snip, snip, yadda, yadda,- - -