Tranny

To: <tigers@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Tranny
From: "W John Gardiner" <johngard@vianet.on.ca>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:43:16 -0400
I was overwhelmed by the number of helpful responses I got regarding
removing the tranny without the engine. Thank you to all. Many mentioned the
access opening on the driver's side of the transmission tunnel to get at the
gear. Unfortunately for me I already have been there and have the speedo
cable and that gear out. It's the gear on the transmission shaft  inside the
extension housing that I must replace (as well as the one on the end of the
speedo cable). Looking at this gear through the hole for the cable, it looks
like it is nylon and white or beige in colour. (Yes I live in Canada!)
Considering your advice, I think I will not attempt the tranny only removal
and continue to use the tach as my speedo for a while longer until there is
a need for some engine work. There is a problem with that though. My tach is
reading about 50% higher that it should. (3000 RPM on my tach ... 1950 RPM
on scope). I haven't investigated this problem at all yet but maybe some of
you know where to begin.