Re: Electric fan attachment

To: MWood24020@aol.com
Subject: Re: Electric fan attachment
From: FRANK_BONIFAZI@HP-FtCollins-om4.om.hp.com
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:07:51 -0600
     Mike,

     WOW!  I think you may have hit the jackpot.

     One of the previous owners had the cylinders over-bored by 0.030.  I
     only thought about the minimal displacement increase (< than 289).  I
     don't know much about the differences between a 260 and a 289. Aren't
     they the same block?

     I know the 260 claimed to use "thin-walled" casting technology. Have
     any of you had a 260 bored?

     This thing is getting real interesting for sure.

     I called a local radiator service company yesterday and they quoted
     $185-$225 for a copper 4-core modification to my radiator.  Does this
     sound about right?  They'll also add a drain plug which I sorely miss
     everytime I do anything with the radiator.

     Thanks,

     Frank Bonifazi B9472682LRXFE

Author:  Non-HP-MWood24020 (MWood24020@aol.com) at hp-ftcollins,mimegw2
Date:    8/20/98 8:46 PM

<< I got lots of expert advise at the event (thanks guys).  Replace the five
blade
 (stainless steel fan) with the Ford 6-blade std. steel blades (must be
trimmed
 and hole enlarged).  Put a 4-core radiator in, or have mine re-cored (any
 personal experiences out there).  Take all the HI-PO stuff off the engine
 (headers, cam, 4-barrel etc.)...ouch!  Block the holes around the horns (done
-
 no noticeable effect).

 Bottom line is that I think my efforts are not moving me forward on this
problem
 (maybe backwards).  >>

Frank-
I think you're right when you state at the end of your post, "I'm still
convinced it can be turned into a reliable cruiser". My Tiger used to run hot
with the, basically, stock 260. When I dropped in the Motorsport 302, I also
had my radiator re-cored with modern technology. Now, with a 300hp motor, the
car runs at 180-185 all day long and only creeps up to 220 in traffic on a hot
(95+) day. This is pretty good, considering I run a "flex" fan (which I've been
told to junk) and no other cooling system related mods. Short answer: Have your
radiator re-cored!
One other thought: Do you know if your block has been bored out? Anything over
.030 is a definite recipe for terminal temp control problems and some castings
can't seem to even tolerate .030 in the Tiger environment.
Mike Wood
B382002273