Re: Alpine Oddity

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Alpine Oddity
From: Steve Sage <rootes@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 15:30:54 -0700

Steve Laifman wrote:

> Steve,
>
> A Singer, huh.  In the Fifty's, when we all had MG's, a freind bought a
> Singer.  It was a four passenger "roadster" with a single overhead cam.
> Not a bad car, just ugly as sin.  Put the top up and it looked like a
> Conestoga Wagon. With that one OHC we called it the "Single Needle"
> model.  Didn't handle very well.
>
> Guess that's why Rootes bought them out, another silly acquisition.
>
> Probably werent seling enough re-badged Hillman "Singers", so had the
> factory slack taken up with some side jobs from the parent.
>
> Steve Laifman

A friend of my dad had a Singer convertible roadster sitting in his garage
in Palm Springs when I was 35 years ago. I remember seeing it sitting there
in not too bad shape, but definitely not the most beautiful car in the
world to begin with. The owner was going to restore it to its original
showroom glory "One of these days".

Anyway, sitting in the same garage, right now,  is the exact same Singer,
looking a bit worse for wear, never having left that garage in the 35 years
since. The same owner, when asked, said that he's going to fix it up and
get it back on the orad, "One of these days"!

Steve Sage