Re: New engine needed

To: PSobol@comdial.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: New engine needed
From: FrizBMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 09:26:21 EDT
Hi Perry
 on 8/25 you wrote:Tiger Fans,

I have to replace the 289 in my MKII. I favor the Motorsport 302.

Has anyone out there done this and if so can you tell me about the
modifications needed for installation and a good average price for the
302. Summit has the it for $2419. plus shipping. The Ford dealer not far
away has the same price and I can save the shipping cost.

Any other ideas on what to do would help.
And a response was (from doug)
Check with your local scrap yard, You should be able to get a late model 5.0

engine with 20-30k miles for about $600-$800.

I think all you will need to change is the front cover  and water pump if
you have a
late model bell housing.

Doug
 Now for my .02 worth.
Doug is totally corect when he says that you need to change the timing front
cover(dipstick placement) and water pump(radiator clearance).You will also
need to re-use the oilfilter/adapter(this is a MUST) so start spraying that
whole area down with WD40 and repeat several times.The conversion to a 6 bolt
rear cover is a moot point because you are already there.
I would consider a stroker.More inches is always a good idea.An aftermarket
company likeFPS(Ford Performance Solutions ) can build you a custom
engine(longblock-with heads) with the correct timing cover so that the rest of
it is a bolt on proposition. If you are more mechanicaly inclined then there
is PAW(Performance Auto Wholesale which offers a whole engine(355-357cid) for
less than $2000.You have to put that one together though. 5.0 Mustang had a
whole issue devoted to stroking.Look for the May 1998 issue.5.0 might even
have a webpage(I havent looked) that could have the materiel  you seek on it.
 Good luck
 Tony