Fwd: New engine needed

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fwd: New engine needed
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 00:34:28 EDT

--part0_904278868_boundary

I forgot to CC: the list with this. Just in case anybody else is contemplating
this swap, I thought my experience could be of some potential help.
Mike

--part0_904278868_boundary

From: MWood24020@aol.com
To: PSobol@comdial.com
Subject: Re: New engine needed
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 23:53:13 EDT

<< have to replace the 289 in my MKII. I favor the Motorsport 302.

 Has anyone out there done this and if so can you tell me about the
 modifications needed for installation  >>
Perry-
I did this swap about 5 years ago. You have gotten some helpful advice
already, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned is addressing the difference
in crank balance between the early motors and the late 302s.
What we (Tom Hall and I did the swap at the same time and, frankly, he was the
one who helped me solve all the transitional difficulties) ended up doing was
this:
Since we were both able to buy NOS 289 hi-po dampeners and late model billet
flywheels from my Ford guy for a good price, we took the pieces, along with a
crank out of a late model 5.0 motor to have them balanced.
I understand that early model, 4-bolt dampeners are now available with the
correct imbalance specs to match up with the late model flywheel and crank.
Another thing to be aware of is that, if you choose to use an early
distributor, you are going to have to change the dist. drive gear from bronze
to steel (If I remember correctly...It WAS a number of years ago). An
alternative would be to run a later model Duraspark. While on the subject of
ignition, remember that the roller cammed 302s use a 351W firing order, not a
289 order.
I'll try to remember other details and forward them on to you. I think you
what you are considering makes sense. There is NO WAY you could possibly build
as strong and reliable a motor for $2400 (which seems like a good price,
although you might check some of the Mustang mags and see how good you can do
mail order). Plus, you can easily pass the motor off as a 289 with correct
ignition etc.
Mike Wood
B382002273

--part0_904278868_boundary--